Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between a massage therapist and a masseuse/masseur?

The term masseuse (female) and masseur (male) historically developed the connotation of providing sensual massage, not necessarily for therapeutic benefit. In 1967, massage therapy became a licensed profession in New York State, and in 1975 “the profession of massage therapy became a practice-protected health care profession in which the title and practice were restricted to those licensed in the profession.” (Swedish Institute, Swedish I) Finally, in 1989, “the massage therapy profession was further strengthened by a change in title from ‘masseuse or masseur’ to ‘licensed massage therapist’ and the NYS Education Department officially recognized the abbreviation L.M.T.”  This allows me to use the abbreviation LMT in my professional title.


As a massage therapist, I am trained to give a thorough intake of your health as related to your needs for massage therapy, provide an assessment of your condition and treatment plan based on my knowledge of manipulating soft-tissue structures. Importantly, I learned when to refer you a medical provider when I feel you need further treatment beyond my scope of practice.  

Is Massage Therapy a certificate or degree program?

My program of study is NOT a certification. I studied at the Swedish Institute and earned an Associates of Occupational Studies, Massage Therapy. In 2017, I earned my third college degree.

Can anyone give massage or body work in the State of New York?

No. After graduating from my degree program, I must take a licensing exam administered by the State of New York. After I graduated from my degree program, I worked under a limited permit at Finish Line Physical Therapy, until the results of my licensing exam were released as “PASSED.” Upon that time, I received my license to practice in New York State.


The next time you seek massage therapy, be sure to look out for the NYS registration form at the office, massage parlor or spa you visit for treatment.